Tuesday, May 3, 2011

God, Music, and Osama Bin Ladin

    This has been an interesting week. I’ve been busy at times, and bored out of my mind at other times. School, work, church, and music festivals have been consuming my time. I go to school 4 days a week, work 3 or 4 days a week, and go to church 2 days a week. Causing my weeks to be pretty full, especially when those 4 days of school have homework that goes along with those days. The music festival was great! More on that later :)
     I’ve been trying to read my Bible more, a friend of mine and I are trying to read through the Bible together. We’re not trying to get it done by any certain time because we don’t want to just read it. We want to study it, understand it, and discuss it. This week we’re reading Genesis chapters 6-8. I will be honest with you, I haven’t read any of it yet. It’s been tough for me to sit down and start reading, the reason it’s so hard is because I haven’t been in the habit of reading the Bible every day for years. In Genesis chapter 1 or 2 (cant remember right now which it is) I love the part where God is pretty much having a conversation with himself and he goes “let us create man in OUR image” then he goes on to say that he’s creating man in HIS image...if you find this confusing like I did the first time I read it, here’s what it’s talking about....its implying the TRINITY! How cool is that! This early in the Bible and God is already mentioning the trinity. I love that. Then chapters 4 & 5 chapters are a lot about family line and all that good stuff. Honestly, I’m super excited about reading more of the Bible and getting to know my God on a much deeper level. I’ve tried many times to read through the Bible and failed, but I think this time with doing it with a friend it’ll make it so I will actually follow through with it.
    This last weekend (Friday and Saturday) I went to Agape Music Festival in Greenville, IL. bands like Tenth Avenue North, Rush Of Fools, Third Day, Need To Breath, Sidewalk Prophets, and Hawk Nelson played. There were tons others too, but those were some of the big named ones. I went with my best friend Heather and we slept in my mom’s tiny two door stick shift saturn, it was a great night! The highlight of the weekend was when Rush Of Fools played. They were doing the late night coffee house on the second stage. If you don’t know me, I LOVE Rush Of Fools. I’ve been listening to them for probably about 6 years, right before they changed their name to Rush Of Fools (their name was Poor And Wretched for those who don’t know). I also have a friend of mine I met on a youth trip many years ago that is a close friend of these guys, which made me even more excited because I was going to be able to meet them and tell them the connection we had. After the show I went to buy their CD (I have it on iTunes, but couldn’t really bring a burned CD for them to sign), and their bassist was right there so I said to him “I’ve been listening to you guys since your name was Poor And Wretched,” His response was “ooo I’m sorry...we weren’t very good back then” I laughed and replied “I’ve always thought you guys were great. Will Thornton turned me onto you guys probably 6 or 7 years ago” and he goes “oh yeah! Will is a cool guy! How’d you meet him?” and so then we talked for a few minutes, then I went and talked to Wes which is their lead singer. I said the same thing to Wes his response is about the same, and we talk about Will a bit more. Got pictures with him, just an awesome genuine guy. He was talking to us about how they were headed to Alabama on Monday  (yesterday) for tornado relief. Which I thought was awesome! He also said to some other fans “ya know we’re just regular people” Which I thought was awesome! They’re so humble and just really great guys. Loved meeting them.
    Sunday was a great day, I got to just relax most the day. Woke up, went to Lot Family, came home, rested, went to starbucks to study with a friend of mine for a test we day today, then went to Laura’s house and just chilled the rest of the day. It was really great. Something that I really needed. Once I got home I was talking to my mom about the whole weekend when my brother Paul comes in the room and is like “Osama Bin Ladin was killed” all of us were like huh??? It’s like it’s been 10 years since 9/11 you don’t expect that. So we turned on the news and were watching as the president talked, and then after that just kept watching the news on it. I was laying on the couch and did something I haven’t done in years....I fell asleep on the couch..lol. When I got up I went to bed figuring I’d hear more the next morning whether it was on facebook or on the news. So when I got up yesterday I got on facebook and twitter and was honestly appalled by what my friends, and fellow christians were saying about his death. They were celebrating in the death of a man, yes a very evil man, but a man none the less. A man that has more than likely gone to Hell. That is sad to me. I saw one post by someone that I know is a christian saying something on the lines of “I laugh as Osama burns in Hell” how can you laugh at that?? That’s something not to be happy about. Yes it’s okay to be happy that justice is served, and that this evil man is now gone, but it’s not okay to celebrate someone going to Hell.
    I also have been seeing lots of posts on how “YAY THE WAR IS OVER LETS BRING OUR TROOPS HOME!” I’m sorry but the war isn’t anywhere near being over. In fact, they will probably be sending even more troops to Afghanistan now, because 1) Osama more than likely had it planned who would take over Al Qaeda 2) his followers are going to be pissed and 3) there’s still the brain washed child soldiers, and everyone else that has been fighting for him. Our military men are still in danger. My best friend John is in Afghanistan right now, that scares me. My brother is going to be deployed in March, that scares me. Because we don’t know how his followers are going to react. And who’s going to take over. The man taking over could always be even more evil than Bin Ladin. You never know! So as we “celebrate” this victory that the US has made. Please remember our military men in your prayers while they get their orders as to what to do next. Please remember that Bin Ladin was loved by God and his followers, and I’m sure that they both are mourning his death right now. Please remember that we as christians should not be celebrating someone going to Hell. That should break our hearts and make us want to go out and do something about it.
If you disagree with me, I’d love to hear what you have to say.

In Christ,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment